Today I welcome YA fantasy author M.S. Kaye to the blog to talk about tools writers can use to perfect their craft.
Books on the Writing Craft
Thanks for having me!
The first step to being published is learning how to write WELL. Educate yourself! You may have an amazing story, but can you convey it as vividly as it is in your mind? Here are some of my favorite books on craft and other aspects of the writing world (I suggest reading these books in the order provided):
1. The Elements of Style by Strunk and White. This is a skinny and fabulous book. Start here; this book will give you the building blocks of writing well.
2. Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Browne and King. The basics but more in-depth. Great chapter on sophistication.
3. Word Painting by Rebecca McClanahan. Create images in your readers’ minds as vividly as Van Gogh created with paint.
4. Stein on Writing by Sol Stein. Craft, more than just the basics.
5. Spunk and Bite by Arthur Plotnik. Read the others first so you understand the rules well enough to be able to break them.
6. 77 Reasons Why Your Book was Rejected by Mike Nappa. Get insights into the publishing world from someone who’s been in virtually every role.
Do you have any favorite writing books to add to the list?
About M.S. Kaye
M.S. Kaye has several published books under her black belt. A transplant from Ohio, she resides with her husband Corey in Jacksonville, Florida, where she tries not to melt in the sun. Find suspense and the unusual at www.BooksByMSK.com.
To receive news on upcoming releases, sign up for email updates on her website.
Contact M. S. Kaye at:
Don’t Miss Clouded
Coming 9/12/2015 from Inkspell
A Sumerian water and sky god myth collides with a modern high school.
Ayanna is a math nerd, logical and rational, even cold, but Calder makes her feel things she never had before. Somehow, she’s able to accept it when she discovers he’s a reincarnated Sumerian water god. Will she be able to accept the full truth, that the story of Enki and Inanna has been reborn in a modern Ohio high school?